Reporting a tree or hedge affecting the highway,

The Suffolk County Council Highways Reporting Tool enables you to quickly and easily report a new defect and monitor status of existing reports on line. Follow this link to get started.

There are some restrictions on using this tool. Do not report a fallen or overhanging tree online if:

  • it poses an immediate tree danger to public safety, instead CALL: 0345 606 6171
  • it’s on a trunk road in Suffolk – call the Highways England Information Line on 0300 123 5000

Reporting a problem takes about 2 minutes. 

By using the Highways Reporting Tool, you’re agreeing to Suffolk County Council’s terms of use.

Report a overhanging tree or hedge in Suffolk quickly and easily online.

To ensure Suffolk County Council have a full auditable trail and the tree reports goes to the correct team can I request that these defects are recorded on our web report it tool (including pictures), address below. After which you will be updated with progress and actions:

The Suffolk County Council Highways Reporting Tool allows you to report a new defect and monitor status of existing reports. If it is your first time using this tool first click the “How to use this tool” button.

 Before reporting check for existing reports

On the map within the website reporting process, you can check if a problem has already been reported by finding the location of the tree incident and clicking on the Show Key button. The coloured icons show the progress of each report.

Reporting a tree emergency

A tree emergency is a fallen tree or branch blocking part or all the road or path.

This is one of many possible highways emergencies. For details of other possible emergencies follow this link: Reporting highways emergencies.

Call 0345 606 6171 to report a highways problem that poses an immediate danger to the public.

When you report an emergency give:

  • a description of the emergency (size or extent of problem, when it happened and the current situation)
  • the location (e.g. outside No. 5, The Street, “somewhere town”, or road number and location)
  • your name and telephone number so we can contact you if we need more information.

Information we need about the tree emergency situation

Fallen tree or branches in road or path

  • Size of tree or branch
  • Is the road or path blocked? (If yes, is there an alternative
    route available?)
  • Is the road passable?
  • Has the location been made safe?
  • Has the tree fallen across or brought down electricity or
    telephone cables?
  • Is the tree on the ground or caught up in cables?
  • Any details of who owns the tree

We manage most roads in Suffolk. However, we don’t maintain:

  • private roads – these are the responsibility of their owner
  • trunk roads – problems with these roads should be reported to the Highways England Information Line 
    on 0300 123 5000

Trunk roads maintained by Highways England

Details of the A11, A12 and A14 trunk roads in Suffolk, including how they are managed and existing roadworks by Highways England.

A trunk road is a major road designated by Highways England as a route of strategic importance.

The following roads in Suffolk are maintained by Highways England:

  • A11 from Newmarket to Thetford and Norwich
  • A47 (North) from Lowestoft (River Waveney/Bascule lifting bridge) to Great Yarmouth
  • A12 (South) from Ipswich to Colchester and London
  • A14 from the Midlands to Felixstowe 

These routes are highlighted in yellow on the map :

Queries about trunk roads

If you have a query about a trunk road, you should contact the Highways England Information Line on 0300 123 5000, which is open 24 hours a day.

To find out more, visit the Highways England website.

Terms of use

Please ensure you understand the Suffolk County Council (SCC) terms of use before using the reporting tool.

When using the SCC reporting tool, you must not:

  • break the law (this includes libel), condone illegal activity or break copyright
  • swear, make malicious or offensive comments
  • incite hatred on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality or sexuality or other personal characteristics
  • advertise commercial products and services, although you can mention relevant products and services as long as they support your comment
  • impersonate or falsely claim to represent a person or organisation
  • post comments that are unrelated to highways fault reporting
  • make comments which are party political in nature
  • make comments about other people’s actions, activities or of a personal nature
  • include names and addresses of yourself or other residents

SCC reserve the right to remove messages at any time for any of the above.

For serious or persistent breaches of these guidelines, SCC reserves the right to prevent users from making further reports.